Friday, September 12, 2008

A year ago...

Last Friday Kenzie turned 1. It was so weird for me to think of my day back a year. Here was the day:

I woke up and went to work that morning. The kids had an early day at school so I picked them up at 1 and headed out to my mom's in Newton. She had been in a horse accident the day before so I went out to take care of her. I spent a couple hours out there and around 6 was getting tired so I was getting ready to go. I went to the bathroom and swore I heard a pop. My first thought was "No way" and as I was waiting and nothing was leaking I got up and walked out of the bathroom. My step dad needed a ride to the store so we went out to the car and as I sat down fluid came from everywhere. I turned and said -very calmly- "My water just broke." He turned and said -just as calm- "well, change of plans." I just got up and walked into my mom's house and back into the bathroom. I was trying to stay calm but with Kaylee they broke my water and she was born within 20 minutes so I was struggling. My mom-bless her drugged up mind!- brought me down a pair of pants that I probably couldn't have fit my left leg in. She also was trying so hard to help with the kids and get us out the door. My cousin who lives a block away was our taxi and came to my rescue. Within 5 minutes of my water breaking we were in the car. I only had one small contraction on the way to the hospital. Bless my kids. They listened and did what they were told and little Kaylee even just hopped in the car and sat in my cousin's baby carseat without a word! I got a hold of Marty's dad who responded "Your water broke tonight-like as in just now, Well ok I will go find him" Marty was at church meetings and needed to be hunted down. So this was us walking into the hospital: I am in a wheelchair with my scrub top on and a pair of pants that are like 4 sizes too small, Marty is pushing me mock 20 in his suit, my sister in law tiffany is running to get doors and keeping track of everyone, my mom is following whoever with an icepack on her lip looking just as scared and confused as ever, my kids with their backpacks scared out of their minds, and my cousin who loving drops us off and thanks me for not having a baby in his car! What a site I am sure we were. Once we got to my room, I was reassured that I was only at a 3 and we had plenty of time. So after that we all took a breath. I sent the kids home with Grant and Linda, sent my mom home with my brother and his wife and sent Marty to change his clothes. Finally, my kelly girl, who drove through a rain storm with malfunctioning wiper blades, showed up and Marty returned from his wardrobe change. It remained calm for the most part. Kelly slept in a chair, Tiffany waited on me like I was a queen and Marty sat making his lovely comments like "um do you think we could hurry this up- I'm tired" Gotta love the husband! After a couple of doses of phentanol, and a few hours of waiting, Kenzie Rae was born weighing 5lbs. 6 oz. born at 1:30 am. She looked just like Marty's grandpa and had lots of dark hair. (well lots to us- the other two were bald!). Her labor was amazing and she is still amazing me everyday. I didn't think I could love another being like my other two kids but she is the light of my life. She is loved and spoiled rotten by everyone in this family and after 9 months of thinking I am way too old for another baby I find that she is what I needed to feel complete. I love her with all of my heart and hope that she feels how much we needed her in this family.

We love you Kenzie Rae.

3 comments:

tbergsjo said...

I had to try and be as good as nurse as you. I know I didn't measure but then who can hold a tub and watch someone else throw up! Only a true nurse! You are a queen and I am still amazed by that night!!!

Tara Bergsjo said...

I am so glad you had little Kenzie! I have so much fun with her!! You are a great mom!

Kevin and Heather said...

Kevin was reading this and laughed at the part with Marty saying Can we hurry this along, I'm tired. He said that sounds so much like Marty.