Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Camping! UGH


On Wednesday Marty came up with the brilliant idea to go camping. He was excited, the kids were overjoyed, and I- I was just along for the ride! So we got everything packed and headed up to Porcupine campground by Minnetonka cave on Thursday morning. I was in good spirits- despite my natural ability to dislike camping. We got to Bear Lake (a town I love) and had a great lunch at La Beau's. I love eating outside smelling the Lake. (When I was 13, my best friend Ruby and I spent the summer babysitting for a lady at Alcova Lake and I think that brings back good memories). After lunch we headed up the canyon to find the perfect camp spot. After driving through all the campgrounds we decided on a spot in Porcupine. So we got out and unloaded the truck and then it hit me- Why am I here! I hate to camp! I immediately remembered my top five reasons I dislike to camp so much!


1. Bugs. I'm not scared of them but they annoy me to no end. They are always buzzing around your face and NEVER go away. Bug spray works but not the way I wanted it to.


2. Setting up a tent. No matter how easy they claim it is, the poles get stuck, you put them in the wrong spots, and someone ends up swearing before you finally have a fabulous ONE room hut where you spend the night on a hard floor-FREEZING.


3. Dirt. It's just everywhere and there is no getting rid of it.


4. No cell service. Kelly and I have an unspoken rule that we chat at least twice a day. With no service how is that possible!


5. No showers, hot water, or modern bathrooms. Need I say more.


So the night wasn't great. Kenzie woke up screaming because she was so cold and didn't know where she was. We finally had to warm up her bottle and I sat with her in the suburban for a while before she calmed down. In the morning, Marty made a gourmet breakfast of hash browns, sausage and bacon. After that we packed up camp and headed up the canyon to tour the cave. Kaylee, Kenzie and I only made it halfway through due to Kaylee getting scared? and having to go to the bathroom. What I saw of the cave was pretty cool. When we got out of the cave we were met by Andy, Tiffany and the girls. We had invited them to go, but Tiffany didn't know if they would be able to make it. Once again- no cell service so they got left behind. Sorry guys! After Marty and Ashton made it out we headed down the canyon to go home. We ate lunch in Bear Lake again and then off home we were.


So camping is not my idea of fun but all things aside it was worth my discomfort to see how much my husband and kids loved this trip. It was good to be together as a family. We played games and took a walk and really enjoyed time without T.V. and gameboys and yes, the computer. If asked if I would do this again? Yes, in a heartbeat!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Those are the cutest pics ever. I love Kenzie's playpen! That's my fav.

tbergsjo said...

I wish we could have joined you guys for both the camp and the cave, but none the less we had fun too. I like to camp but camping at the cabin is my kind of camping :).

Kevin and Heather said...

Looks like fun! cute pictures!

Suz said...

Hey miss Kim, my sentiments exactly. We need to get together so I feel like I know you guys still!!! But I am sure you had a Little fun camping didn't you!!